Sep 27 2016

Hello Helsinki

Category: Beautiful DoorsLori @ 1:26 pm Comments (8)

Some days I just need to take a break from the code questions and check out a really cool door.  Luckily, George Everding (and his wife Maureen who suggested that he take the photo for me) saw this door during a visit to Helsinki.  Beautiful, right?

helsinki-door

Seen any interesting doors lately?  Send me some photos!

8 Responses to “Hello Helsinki”

1. Louise says:

Do you know which building this is?
    I’d love to see the rest of the building.

2. Daniel Poehler says:

Just goes to show how codes direct us (USA) as to design. This door would never comply with accessible Standards. The artistry is beautiful though. Dig the built-in intercom.

3. Jeff Tock says:

I think LCN has a special template for mounting a door closer on this opening!

4. Tony Klagenberg says:

Yes it is nice wood working.

5. LachSr says:

That is one of the neatest doors I’ve ever seen! Thanks for sharing the photo!

6. DAVID FEDERICO says:

Truly a work of Art as well a functional.. What is it they say about design … Form follows function.

7. Elena Rodriguez says:

Is this an interesting combination of “art nouveau ” with “art decco” , though it is difficult to identify the graved figures , are these chinesse?

8. George Everding says:

This is from a building on Kauppiaankatu Street in Helsinki. It’s currently a residential building, although the area itself is mostly industrial, warehouse, and governmental buildings. I would not be surprised it was repurposed for residential from original use, but it could have been originally apartments. We only had three days in Helsinki, and spent one of them on their extensive tram system – an all day pass. This was just a stop on the #6 tram near the port. I don’t think the figures are Chinese – this is just Finland’s interpretation of Art Deco – Kauppiaankatu Street had a dozen or so examples, but this by far was the best door. Thanks Lori for sharing it, and thanks for your comments