May 02 2016

WWYD? Mag-Locks

Category: Egress,Electrified Hardware,WWYD?Lori @ 9:46 am Comments (10)

If you’re looking for me, I’m on my way to the DHI conference – conNextions 2016!  I saw this pair of doors in one of the airports I passed through on my way to Orlando…along with several other good ones that I couldn’t take photos of because I was in Customs & Immigration where they don’t allow photos.  One was a pair where the doors had one pull on the active leaf, and on the inactive there was no hardware at all, but there was a sign in 2 languages advising people to use the other door.  Weird, right?

Anyway…I am assuming that the airport requested and received the proper code modifications for the pair of doors in the photos below – serving the airport terminal.  Anybody know what the required code modifications would be?

If you’re in Orlando this week, come and play Code Jeopardy!

Mag-Lock 1

Mag-Lock 2

10 Responses to “WWYD? Mag-Locks”

1. Matt Backensto says:

Two forms of release are required. The fire alarm tie in is one. There should also be a 631DA push button.

2. John Danes says:

They must have gotten a variance from the local AHJ to allow this?

Building Code used. “FAA”

Need to watch it, will get on no fly list !

4. Gary Huizen says:

Not delayed egress

5. Louise says:

Maybe they could have translations into 15 or so commonly used languages.

6. Glenn Younger says:

Although Fire codes are best practice, there are regulations that give the Undersecretary of the Dept of Homeland Security authourity to override and and all building codes relating to, or that impact, Commercial Airport securty. Generally there is (or should be) a fire safe way out out, but in this setting the DOHS has ultimate authority.

U.S. Code › Title 49 › Subtitle VII › Part A › Subpart iii › Chapter 449 › Subchapter I › § 44903

7. Richard says:

Just went through this with TJC. Double egress doors, tied in with fire alarm, and they made use remove mags from doors. State fire marshal approved but TJC didn’t. Brings me back to my earlier question of which has authority

8. Jim ELder says:

This can be done by filing a code variance with a lot of justification.

9. Chuck Noble says:

Mag locks cannot be used as a positive latching device on fire doors. Magnetics loose their magnetic power at 400 degrees. It’s total gone at 450 degrees. The Joint Commission (TJC) was right not allowing the mags.