Printed from the blog of Lori Greene, AHC/CDC, CCPR, FDAI
Email:, Blog: or

May 06 2015

What is this?

Category: General InfoLori @ 12:02 pm Comments (11)

Instead of Wordless Wednesday, I need some help identifying a product.  It’s in a detention facility.  If you know the manufacturer, model number, and/or purpose, leave a comment!

Detention Hardware


11 Responses to “What is this?”

  1. Jess says:


    this is a door position switch, this tells the guard shack what door is open and whats closed,it is armless for safety reasons (suicide/aggressive inmate)

    this would make a great closer, as its “armless” and less moving parts!

    as for brand/series, this best sounds like what your looking at

    hope this helps!

    -Jess the door closer doctor

  2. Gerry JamiesonAHC says:

    Looks to me as a retro-fit floor closer

  3. Todd Brady says:

    It is a door position switch.

  4. aaron brassington says:

    Looks like a door position switch. It turns on a light or buzzer to show door open/closed.

  5. Tom Pekoc says:

    Is it a detention grade door position switch?

  6. Bryan McKeehan says:

    I think Jess nailed it. I was going to say an anti-ligature reinforcing pivot. Regardless, it is not installed very well, as the door portion is not square to the world.

  7. Ronald Betschman says:

    Formerly Southern Steel 220 Door position switch.

  8. T.J. Gottwalt says:

    Lori, this is a switch, usually used for door position, but can also trigger other detention-related relays, such as locking other doors (think sally port).

  9. Ryan Pfeiffer says:

    Seems like an awful lot of hardware compared to a concealed $20 DPS.

  10. Curt Norton, CSI CCS says:

    It looks like a 220A door position switch from Southern Steel. See page 10 of their catalog:

Leave a Reply