Feb 02 2018

FF: Panic Protector

Jon Millsap posted this Fixed-it Friday photo on his Facebook page (Locksmith’s Journal), and he gave me permission to share it here.  What do you think?  Yea or nay, and why or why not?

And if you’ve been waiting on the edge of your seat to find out what happened in Utah, a substitute bill was filed (available here), and the audio of today’s House Education Committee meeting is now online  and embedded below.  Spoiler Alert: I’m not a fan of the outcome.

10 Responses to “FF: Panic Protector”

Nay

Defeats the purpose of panic hardware

2. Paul Goldense says:

I like all the time and effort spent for the install but I think they have a 3′ device on a door which requires a longer device to meet 50% door with. But they failed to put a cylinder in the device to arm it so you can stick your finger in the cylinder hole to disarm the device and exit the door

3. DBishton says:

Having to reach into a box to push/hold a panic device looks absurdly dangerous.

4. Jon says:

Not sure. Is the exposed area more than 1/2 the width? Does the code say the push pad must be a continuous 1/2? Still would not recommend.

5. Curtis Meskus says:

keep the fork lift and boxes away

6. Gil Wade says:

Hi Lori,
    Nay. I have a hard time imagining a youngster finding
    the bar in between those bars…
    Or anyone else in a fire. Keep up the good work!
    Gil

7. Krystina says:

If you removed the two bars covering the push pad, I wouldn’t mind. I have had a project where they requested some sort of protector for the panic device against the abuse of carts going out the door. However, like Cda, I think this one defeats the INTENT of the code calling for the push pad to extend half the length of the door.

8. Joel Niemi says:

meanwhile, no protector on the j-box, which appears more likely to be banged into

9. David Moyer says:

Nay, No way
    They’ve already got delayed egress.
    Although one can see the exit device pushbar in the yellow box, I’d say the box adds another element of “special knowledge” to an already complex opening. No way should it be allowed.

Not so much extending across the width as much as will the bodies piling against the door/ panic hardware

Ever open the door.

One reason panic hardware came into existence.