Jan 05 2018

FF: Pin-Removable Mullion

Category: Fixed-it Friday,Panic HardwareLori @ 12:01 am Comments (6)

Today’s Fixed-it Friday photo is from Jason Relyea of Allegion…I’ve seen keyed removable mullions, and removable mullions that are secured with screws, but this one must get removed A LOT.

Have you seen any creative applications lately?  Send me some photos (please)!  😀

6 Responses to “FF: Pin-Removable Mullion”

1. Duncan Rydall CFPO says:

Let me guess, that is a school corridor and the mullion is removed to allow the floor polisher to travel through…

2. Krystina says:

Or someone got a new cart for whatever is on the other side, except it’s a 3-0 door and the cart is 3-4 x 4-0 and doesn’t fit.

3. Jon says:

Looks like they are using snow blower shear pins…..appropriate.

4. A.J. Vanhooser says:

I’m actually considering specifying removable mullions less after volunteering with my daughter’s high school band. Their school has multiple door pairs that either have removable mullions or fixed mullions that they need to frequently move equipment through and the door openings are not large enough. For the lifetime of the school, there is no way to forecast the future equipment needs they will have and providing more flexibility in these (or similar) situations I think is prudent.

5. Ian Greene says:

There was a small music club downtown in the city I lived in at the time that had this very set up. That was some 12-15 years ago and the building hasn’t been standing for nearly that long as well. The idea for them was they had to bring sound equipment in and out of the main doors and this was the fix for it.

It worked. There wasn’t much latent movement in the mullion and the doors did secure well.

6. Jerry Austin says:

I very much dislike these after my Granddaughter ran full force into one of these. The strikes hit her at face level and she lost consciousness. I would rather see people use other solutions for double door locations.