Printed from the blog of Lori Greene, AHC/CDC, CCPR, FDAI
Allegion
Email: lori_greene@allegion.com, Blog: www.idighardware.com or www.ihatehardware.com


Dec 21 2016

WW: Egress in Mexico

Category: Egress,Wordless WednesdayLori @ 2:08 pm Comments (12)
Share

A couple of weeks ago we went to our friends’ gymnastics school performance, at a large sports facility near our home.  I didn’t think to take a good photo of the entire gym, but there was seating for several hundred people as you can see in the photo below.

As we were leaving, I noticed the entrance doors, which had been standing open when we entered – they appear to be double-acting and were in the inswinging position.  It’s probably a good thing I didn’t see the hardware on the way in.  All of the main entrance doors were closed and locked (double-cylinder locks!), except the one shown open in the photo below.  None had panic hardware, and I saw no exit signs anywhere.  This is a recently-constructed building owned by the municipal government.  :\

  

12 Responses to “WW: Egress in Mexico”

  1. Jody Boatman says:

    Just curious what Code Book/Edition do they use?

  2. Patrick Jones says:

    Shouldn’t be too difficult to add exit signs – you have an easy place to tie in with the unlocked & open electrical panel right there in the public area.

  3. Daniel Poehler says:

    Mexico is still very much a third world country. Nothing surprises me when it comes to buildings, codes and construction.

  4. Charlesa says:

    Are they balanced doors?

    Plus the surface mount bolts on one leaf

  5. Jim Stroda says:

    Typical municipal enforcement of building codes…..Do as I say not as I do.

  6. B R says:

    Please tell us you will never go to that building again and show us your demeaning
    letter to the Architect and building owner.

    I have pity for the innocent who frequent the building.

    • Lori says:

      The problem is that there are very few code requirements and almost no enforcement. There are also LOTS of other problems that are on the government’s to-do list with much higher priority than something that might happen in the municipal gym. 🙁

      – Lori

  7. Michael Pedersen says:

    As evidenced by the Tultepec fireworks market explosion this week (at least 29 dead), Mexico has a very different view of life safety and risk vs. reward than the US does. Without the litigation-happy culture of the US, no owner or facility manager is going to bother spending thousands on Von Duprin exit devices and advanced security devices when they can use a $50 lock and have a 99% chance of being fine. Unfortunately, things that happen 1% of the time happen all the time…

    • Lori says:

      You’re exactly right, and it’s not just a door/hardware issue. We see things all the time that would never fly in the US. It’s very evident during road work…they’ll dig these giant holes and put some painted rocks or maybe a cone on the edge as a warning. Babies are still riding on their parents’ laps, entire soccer teams of kids are still riding in the back of pickup trucks (sitting on top of the side, of course). In our town there’s an annual tradition that involves shooting fireworks across the jardin (town square) instead of up in the air. It takes place around 4 a.m., so many of the participants have been partying all night. This year there were 68 injuries, but hey – nobody died!

      – Lori

  8. David DeFilippo says:

    Sad, you would think people would know better.

Leave a Reply

*