Oct 26 2016

WW: Man Cave

Category: Egress,Wordless WednesdayLori @ 12:52 am Comments (17)

According to my coworker, Mark Kuhn of Allegion, this Wordless Wednesday photo shows the egress side of this door.  What’s wrong with this picture??

man-cave-door

17 Responses to “WW: Man Cave”

1. Bob Caron says:

Considering all the Confederate paraphernalia in that store, I’d say there’s nothing wrong with that door at all. I’m going to go with the bottom right knob as the latch. It’s the only one where you can clearly see a through-bolt screw in the rose. The rest are dummies.

2. Charles a says:

I take one of the knobs on the left side, is a true door knob??

Is there an exit sign above the door?

3. Aaron says:

There should be a poll: Is it left-handed or right-handed?

My guess is that it is left-handed based on the missing veneer in the bottom corner and how the foot traffic seems to be offset to the right side.

4. Jack Ostergaard says:

The real question is where to start the list

5. Cecilia says:

Didn’t I see an article somewhere that referenced murals such as this on an egress only in nursing home type settings (sorry, I’m a real rookie).

6. Clair E Gunnet Jr AHC says:

My first reaction was that the painting of the man gives the impression this is an entrance only door, not an exit. congrats to the rookie for being first!

7. Terry Crump, FDAI says:

I would say this is NOT an egress door. With merchandise so close to the door, it would be too easy to ‘grab and go’. (IF you wanted any of that stuff anyway) So it may be a dressing room or restroom, in which case there’s no code violation–just an annoying doorway.

8. Harry says:

Its all knobbed up!

9. Darren Patton says:

It has KNOBS but no KNOCKERS

10. James Slemmons says:

Well, it’s clearly labeled as the “Man Cave”, which doesn’t normally mean “Exit”.

11. Jamo Ladd says:

Being in the South I like this painting. I think the brass knobs were painted for looks not functionality.
    However these type cafe doors are normally double acting and the frame has a stop on it.
    Only letting the doors swing outward. And obviously they do not provide security.

12. jutzi says:

Bill Elliott shops here.

13. Ed Harris says:

You need four hands to open this!

14. Vincent Chestnut says:

Shouldn’t that be a matched set of pistols?

15. Charly Shannon says:

Looks like a “cute” name for the men’s room, so it would be OK as is.

16. John Payson says:

If the door is clearly labeled by an illuminated “EXIT” sign out of frame, and if pushing on the door will make it open (most likely because there is no latching/locking hardware, but perhaps because the “swinging door” decoration is painted on a protruding board which is mounted to a panic) I wouldn’t consider this door to be worse than some other decorated doors. Given the decoration, I would guess that it probably grants access to a room which is served by another exit, but that in most cases where a shopper would have clearly-visible path to another exit, it would be better for the shopper to use that exit (which is visibly unobstructed) than hope egress is possible through the other room (which might turn out to be impassible because of a fire which broke out there.

I’m curious to what extent people’s ability to find exits which are marked with clearly-visible illuminated “EXIT” signs is actually impaired by “camouflage”. Camouflage would clearly exacerbate the effects of a missing “EXIT” sign, but is there any evidence that in an emergency, people who see an exit sign would not as a first instinct push anything under the sign which looks like it might be a door?