Oct 14 2016

FF: Restroom Closer

Category: Door Closers,Fixed-it FridayLori @ 11:04 am Comments (13)

I always get a little nervous taking photos of hardware in a restroom…like maybe someone will think I’m weird and/or taking photos of them. I’ve been known to stall until everyone is gone, and rush to take photos before anyone else comes in.

Julia Bradley of Willis Klein sent me this photo of a closer she saw in a restroom. Yes, the mounting is not per the manufacturer’s instructions, but what’s really odd is the paint job.  Why bother?

restroom-closer-mounting

13 Responses to “FF: Restroom Closer”

1. MartinB (aka lauxmyth) says:

That door can only open 90 degrees. And what is with that wire at the joint but it was put on after the painting. Could have been a WW post.

2. Larry Niedt says:

Too Funny!

3. Julia says:

I should have sent the photo of where the baby changing station was mounted also. I don’t think you are supposed to have to straddle the toilet to use the changing station!

4. John Truempy says:

I would say the painter needs to give up the spray gun and pick up a brush and roller side note taking a photo in a bathroom is a crime in more and more states so be careful we don’t want you blogging from jail

That’s interesting…I didn’t know I was committing a crime. I just thought someone might think I was creepy! What about all of those kids (and non-kids) taking selfies in the bathroom mirror?!

• Julia says:

It was a single bathroom, so no worries there! LOL

5. Jim Hooker says:

Don’t you just love painters?

6. Bryan McKeehan says:

That right there is a low bid paint job! Wow!!

7. DAVID FEDERICO says:

I can’t begin to tell you the number of times I have seen closers installed incorrectly like this . This goes back to the the days when all units were handed , there was no such thing as a parallel arm.they were corner brackets . This was some ones feeble but no the less operative attempt to install a closer they knew nothing about . An E for Effort as my old history professor would say .. as for the spray paint job looks like they masked the closer and part of the arm before spraying the door and frame then painted the walls .. Question is does the closer work .lol

8. DAVID FEDERICO says:

I can’t begin to tell you the number of times I have seen this type of installation . This goes back to the days when all closers were handed and there was no such thing as a parallel arm . They were corner brackets. An E for Effort as my old history professor would say . Installed by someone with little knowledge of closers . As for the spray on paint probably they had masked the closer and part of the arm sprayed painted the door then painted the walls ..

9. DAVID FEDERICO says:

Sorry for the repeat I had thought the first one did not go through …

10. John Payson says:

My guess would be that the closer used to have some kind of enclosure which both hid and masked part of the underside of the arm along with the closer body. It’s weird that a little paint got on parts of the body, but perhaps the enclosure had the right side open?