Oct 15 2015

FF: Garrafones de Agua

Category: Egress,Fixed-it FridayLori @ 11:58 pm Comments (17)

I saw this door as I was walking down the street an hour ago.  It’s your run-of-the-mill trash-can hold-open, with an added security layer consisting of a stack of giant bottles of water (we call them garrafones) inside.  What I can’t figure out is why anyone would want/need to hold this door open.  Nobody’s going in or out with los garrafones in the way.  Yet another Fixed-it Friday mystery.

Water Bottle Egress-1

Update:  I went back and took a photo from the inside (below).  The door opening is completely covered by the stacks of bottles.  If the reason for the propped door is ventilation, I really can’t imagine how much ventilation they’re getting but I guess it’s better than nothing.  Although the stores here tend to be very security-conscious…the bottles must provide an acceptable level of security.

Garrafones from Inside

If yesterday’s post about UL 294 scared you, take some deep breaths and give it a go.  It’s important information if you are involved in specifying or supplying electrified hardware.  If you don’t know when/where the UL 294 listings are required you could inadvertently provide products that do not carry the necessary listing, and nobody wants to have to fix that mistake.

17 Responses to “FF: Garrafones de Agua”

1. Roger Black says:

Lori, love your passion for all things door/hardware related! Absolutely adore your pics of, to us foreign, down south. Please keep it up. Kudo’s…

2. David Moyer says:

Maybe the door is open purely for air circulation?

Maybe…I don’t know how much circulation they’re getting with the wall of bottles there. I’m going to go in and check it out next time I walk by.

3. lach says:

Could easily have been a stock delivery person keeping it open when replacing the jugs and left the garbage can there when he left.

Air flow??

5. Eric Laidlaw says:

I’m guessing for ventilation?

6. Krys says:

It’s probably for ventilation for the building/room. It might go to a kitchen, and leaving the door open lets in the (barely) cooler air while keeping people from entering. When you can’t have a locked screen door, I guess that works!

Inside of the door is a convenience store and the climate here is so temperate that the store shouldn’t get too overheated, but I’m going to check it out from the inside when I get a chance.

7. Julia says:

Maybe ventilation? They may be smoking up a storm in there!

8. Rich says:

This is an integral part of their “top of the line” air management system. You are mistaking this fancy louver panel for a pile of water bottles. It is an amazing piece of engineering to be able to store stuff in the louver and also fine tune the amount of air that flows through by arranging the bottles.

9. Joel Niemi says:

ventilation?
    A bit further west than you, but I noticed during a trip to Puerto Vallarta many years ago that many shops had only roll-down garage doors as their “storefront” – why impede the natural cooling?

10. Curt Norton, CSI CCS says:

It looks like it is either for ventilation or a smoke break.

Also water filled containers keeps bugs and Mosquitos away!!!

12. Walt McKee says:

Ahh man, this used to be the front door to the original establishment! New tenant w/new design put the front door elsewhere. And, for the sake of saving renovation dollars, this abandoned opening was utilized for cooling purposes plus the multiuse of heavy weight hydro security devices was incorporated as well. Kudo’s to the imagination for use of meager means to an end.