Aug 23 2015

South of the Border

Orange Door - Hernandez MaciasIf you’ve been reading this blog for a while, you probably know that I travel with my family for about 4 weeks each summer, working remotely and taking some vacation time while keeping up with blog posts, questions, and comments.  I’ve shared lots of door photos along the way – from Mexico, Morocco, Madrid, and beyond.  Maybe you’ve even been wondering where I would travel this summer.

Well, a few weeks ago – we packed up the kids and the dog and moved to Mexico.  Four weeks of traveling just wasn’t enough, so we moved south of the border to spend this school year in San Miguel de Allende.  Why?  For the experience, the beautiful weather, the Spanish immersion, the fresh and delicious food, the colorful colonial architecture, the amazing people…the whole package!  We left our home, our friends, our cars, and the snowy winter in Massachusetts – along with the cat, who escaped the night before we left.  He has since been captured, but I don’t think he will be joining us here.

San Miguel de Allende is a beautiful colonial city, and we live in el Centro (downtown) in a 3-bedroom house that we are renting.  The kids will go to a small school nearby, and have already met friends and joined sports teams – they speak Spanish so that has been a big help.  My husband has taken a leave of absence from his job as an electrical engineer and will be doing some volunteer work here.  I’ve been working remotely for over 10 years, so it will be business as usual for me – you can still contact me any time and I’ll continue to post here each weekday.  We are settling in well, and are adapting to walking everywhere or taking a bus or taxi for longer trips (we left our cars in the US and this is the first time in 32 years I’ve been without a car!).  There is so much to do here – music and art everywhere, great restaurants, frequent parades and fiestas, locals and visitors to meet – we’re loving it.

And the DOORS!!!  San Miguel is know for its beautiful doors, and I will definitely be sharing some of them here.  Since I do need to continue to write about codes, hardware applications, and all the usual content, my plan is to add a thumbnail photo at the bottom of some of my regular posts, which you can click on if you wish to see a larger version of the photo or read a tidbit about what’s happening with us in our adopted hometown.  Sound like fun?  If you have any questions, I’ll be happy to answer them there!

~~~

Keep an eye out for those thumbnails!  They’ll look like this:

Orange Door - Hernandez Macias

29 Responses to “South of the Border”

Fantastic!!!

Enjoy the food!

Thanks Charles! Everything is so fresh here – we’ve been eating lots of fruits and veggies. Oh – and churros. 🙂

2. Deb Henson says:

Congratulations and good luck! Looking forward to hearing about your new life in Mexico!

Thanks Deb! I’m excited to tell you about it! I’m just trying to figure out the right balance of door pics and personal tidbits, how frequently I should post a thumbnail, what would be interesting to readers, etc., but I guess I’ll figure it out as I go along – just like everything else on this site. 🙂

3. Judy Reynolds says:

Hi Lori,
    How exciting! What an Adventure! What a smart thing to do while your children are like little sponges – just absorbing everything you can fling at them! You are making memories that will last a lifetime. I’m sorry your cat “missed the boat”, but did you take the dog?

Hi Judy! We did bring Annie…it was a long flight but she did great (we flew direct which helped). She seems to be very happy here – a good mix of laying in the shade and going on walks. She has already figured out that it’s best to walk on the shady side of the street – just like the locals. 🙂

4. Mojo says:

Lo que se publica ahora en aparecer en español?

5. Julia says:

Sounds like a grand adventure! I look forward to the photos and updates you will be sharing with us.

6. Linda Scott says:

That is awesome! Make sure to visit the nearby town of Guanajuato. It is about 1-1/2 hours away but a beautiful place to see – architecture, countryside and doors (of course). Enjoy your stay.

Hi Linda –

We visited Guanajuato the last time we were here – the kids loved the funicular! We will have some friends and family visiting us so I’m sure we’ll go back to Guanajuato.

7. JAMO LADD says:

Lori, just pulled up your new home on the internet. It is a very beautiful place. hope you have a wonderful time. question? Is there water supply like other 3rd world countries where you have to be very careful? just wondering. this will be a really great experience for your kids also

Hi Jamo –

Our house has a filtration system and we also have a big bottle (like an office water cooler), but the last time we were here we drank the filtered water from the tap and we were fine. Most of the restaurants seem to use filtered water, so we haven’t had a problem. All of the fruits and vegetables have to be soaked in an antibacterial solution before eating them because the water used for irrigation may not be clean.

8. Jerry Richmond, AHC/CDC says:

I think where you said you moved for “the whole package”, it would be more appropriate to have said “the whole enchalada!”

Good luck!

9. Roberto says:

Hi Lori! Welcome to my country. I hope you enjoy your year here. I’m sure we’ll have many, many WW pictures. I’d love to meet you in person one of these days, who knows? Cheers from Guadalajara!

Hola Roberto! Slide bolts and padlocks are the norm here, so I’ll have to look hard for something different for Wordless Wednesday! 🙂

10. Ian Greene says:

Have a great time Lori.

All the best to you all.

11. Nolan Thrope says:

How cool is that? I am jealous. I want to work remotely from New Jersey!

12. Chuck Park says:

Wow! What a great family adventure!
    I don’t think I’d last a week without my car, let alone an entire year!

I haven’t really missed it yet. We have to take a taxi to the soccer field, but other than that everything is close enough to walk.

13. Fernando says:

Hi Lori,

What a great family project!
    Enjoy the beautiful country that hosts you now.
    All my best,

Fernando

14. Erich Friend says:

I had the privilege of visiting there last year. It’s one of Mexico’s best kept secrets far away from the tourist traps. Enjoy your siesta!

15. Ron R. says:

you could always get a side hustle as a fire life safety consultant for local and regional entities down there.. 🙂

I’d be a very very busy girl, except we don’t have many enforceable codes. When the new mayor started enforcing the rule about not allowing dogs in restaurants, everyone was up in arms. Imagine if I told people they couldn’t lock the front door of their store/restaurant with a padlock!!