Apr 23 2014

WW: “My door won’t latch.”

Category: Doors & Frames,Wordless WednesdayLori @ 10:57 am Comments (15)

Gary Huizen of Huizen’s Locksmith Service posted this Wordless Wednesday photo on the iDigHardware Facebook page…how many times have you arrived on a jobsite to respond to a closing/latching problem and found something like this?  (Or this?  Or this?)

School Exterior Storage

15 Responses to “WW: “My door won’t latch.””

1. Jack Ostergaard says:

bet they used a gypsum grout in the frame

• Safecrackin Sammy says:

I agree… It ate that header up… Note even the difference in the top set of hinge screws and the next set down.

2. David Barbaree says:

I don’t see the problem? It’s probably something wrong with the closer, exit device, lockset. Why can’t these companies make hardware that lasts? I hear this a lot.

I got a call a while back to check a door that wouldn’t open. It was a brand new school, and I was told there must be something wrong with the closer, or hinges since they couldn’t see any other possible reason why the door wouldn’t fully open. I have to admit it took me a bit to figure it out too since it opened for me.
    I finally saw the threshold screw that popped up and down intermittently.

I thought you were going to say the problem was thermal bow…I used to get this call all the time as a distributor, especially with hollow metal doors painted brown or black. The door wouldn’t open at certain times of the day because the sun caused the door to expand slightly.

• David Barbaree says:

Yeah, that’s a good one too although most lay people don’t know about thermal bow. Steel stiffeners, and heavier gauge steel helps but you just can’t have a tight latching exterior door in certain sun exposures. And yes, paint color can be a factor too.

A good exterior door assembly has to factor in various changing conditions in order to function consistently.

3. RB Sontag says:

We have to ask the question, “Why they called and wanted to know what the problem was to begin with”?????? Don’t need a degree to figure this one out.

4. Joel Niemi says:

Looks like a CMU wall to me (joint shows up to the left of the second set of hinge screws).

Portland cement, or maybe even a bit of lime, in the grout, which flowed into the frame “to make it stronger”.

Eats them faster than the gypsum fill. Even with slopped-on in-the-field asphaltic emulsion.

5. Eric Rieckers says:

Nothing a little Bondo won’t fix. ; )

6. Joel Luper says:

Don’t people use bituminous coatings in grouted frames any more? This is simple to avoid no matter what the grouting material used.

I also agree with RB – Duh!

7. Jim Hooker says:

Excellent article on grout (did I really say that, been in the construction materials business way too long).

Exposed to ocean conditions ??

9. Jamo Ladd says:

A picture is worth a thousand words.
    Makes for good comments.

10. Bryan McKeehan says:

Nothing that a rain drip (properly installed) could not help prevent. Water runs down face of bldg and works it’s way into the joint and starts corroding the steel. Grout holds moisture. No grout (air) will at least allow drying over time. Grout SUCKS.

11. Martin J. Kaywork says:

A simple can of Blue Rust-Oleum.