Printed from the blog of Lori Greene, AHC/CDC, CCPR, FDAI
Allegion
Email: lori_greene@allegion.com, Blog: www.idighardware.com or www.ihatehardware.com


Dec 30 2013

Doors and Codes in the News

Category: Egress,Fire Doors,Glass,Locks & Keys,NewsLori @ 8:56 am Comments (2)
Share

Open fire door killed 2 at Mont Blanc – The Free Press Journal

Mumbai: The fire door that was left open near the stair case of the 12th floor of Mont Blanc building in Kemps Corner led to the death of the two domestic helps. Two domestic help of the 17th floor residents died due to suffocation after a fire broke out on the 12th floor of the building. The bodies of the two were found on 19th and 29th floor of the building.

Deputy Chief Fire Officer Sunil Nestrikar said, “The electric ducts in a high rise should be sealed along with the staircase and the fire door should be kept shut. These two things prevent the fire, heat and smoke heading up to the upper floors”.

A fire official said, “The fire door was kept open in the building on the 12th floor. Due to which the smoke went up to the 26th floor of the building.”

Nestrikar further added, “Carbon dioxide and carbon mono-oxide are the by-products of the fire. These are the elements that cause death. If the fire doors are kept closed the damage in a high rise building can be controlled. These mistakes lead to an increase in the casualties during a fire in a high rise apartment.”

Fire destroys bedroom but closing door saves house – Fosters Daily Democrat

Cameron O’Day could only shake his head as he stood outside in the cold Thursday morning after a fire claimed his bedroom in the house he grew up in.

He and his older brother Alex were home at the time the fire started but no one was injured. One of the brothers shut the bedroom door before fleeing the house, a move firefighters said likely saved the structure.

“Whoever closed the door probably saved the rest of the house from burning down,” Lt. Sean Houle said.

Closing the bedroom door contained the fire to the bedroom. Otherwise, it could have crept down the hallway and spread to other parts of the house.

“Whoever closed the door gets an A-plus,” he said.

100 Years Ago: Shout of ‘Fire’ Claimed 73 at Michigan Celebration – Detroit Free Press

What exactly prompted the panicked rush on the second floor remains unclear, according to Alison Hoagland, professor emeritus of history at Michigan Technological University. Some people who made it out alive recalled hearing someone shout about a fire, though others claim no such thing happened. Allegations that the mining company Calumet and Hecla or a group opposed to union organizing was behind it have never been proven.

While the cause isn’t clear, the deadly denouement is. Between 500-700 people were celebrating after a difficult year — a strike since late July raged, as miners fought for an eight-hour workday, pay increases, and the right to unionize, Hoagland said. Santa Claus sat on the stage talking with excited children when the mad dash began.

Few remembered the fire escape and instead raced to the 5-feet-8-inch-wide stairwell. At least one person tripped and the pile-up began. The whole thing was over in minutes.

Woman Claws Her Way Out of Locked Bathroom as in ‘Shawshank Redemption’ – ABC News

After washing her hands in the women’s room, she went to open the door, but the handle would not budge.

“I thought, ‘Ah! This cannot be,’” Perrin told ABC News, describing the initial moment of panic. “It sounds crazy, but I went back into the stall and then washed my hands again hoping to change something.”

But when she reached for the latch for the second time, there was still no movement. She jiggled the handle. She kicked it with her boot. But it was to no avail.

“That’s when it hit me,” she says. “‘I’m locked in here.’”

Perrin spent the next eight hours locked in this bathroom without a cellphone.

1894 Christmas Eve Fire spurred safety legislation – The Columbian

Coal oil spilled and flared, causing the floor and ceiling to catch fire. Several people attempted to douse the blaze. Store owner Francis Chrisman grabbed the torchlike lamp and tried to carry it to the door, but oil ran down and burned his hand. He dropped the lamp, which was kicked around the floor, leaving behind a trail of oil, flames and smoke. The blaze quickly engulfed the building, causing the crowd to surge toward the door.

When a woman’s dress burst into flame, the fragile calm exploded into terror. A girl stumbled, and when her mother tried to pick her up, she also went down. In the melee, more people tumbled and panicked. The frantic mob crowded the door, which opened inward.

Apple store door falls on passerby – ABC-7

BETHESDA, Md. (WJLA) – On Monday afternoon at the Bethesda Row Apple store, the heavy glass front door that reportedly weighs up to 800 lbs. came crashing down onto a passerby.

Pictures posted up on social media show the shattered door and the injured man being attended to by witnesses. A.J. Thompson couldn’t believe it:

“Oh my god, that’s painful,” he said. “You’d think they would have seen the door was off the hinges — that’s pretty terrible.”

Apple Store Door - James Devine

Photo: James Devine

2 Responses to “Doors and Codes in the News”

  1. Chuck says:

    I can Identify with the woman locked in the bathroom.
    A few years ago I installed a Corbin/Russwin Mortise lever lockset on a remote storeroom in a hospital. As I was finishing up, the only thing left for me to do was install the inside lever. So I grabbed my 1/8″ allen key and the lever and went inside the room to put it on. I closed the door and put on the lever, then went to exit the room.

    *Does anyone remember that horrible quality control issue C/R had with their Mortise latches a few years ago where the latch head would separate from the shaft that retracted it?*

    Well, there I was, in a small empty room with no windows, no other exit, no phone, and nobody around because it was the end of the day on a Friday. And all of my tools, except for the single 1/8″ allen key, were on the other side of the door.

    The latch head was cocked in the mortise housing and couldn’t be shimmed or pushed back in. I’m a little claustrophobic, so I was starting to freak out a little bit. I had to really try to keep calm in order to find a way out. Eventually, I took the allen key and removed the inside lever; then used the lever as a hammer, and the allen key as a punch, to remove the hingepins; then used the return tang on the lever as a pry bar to pry open the door from the hinge side.

    If that door had a reverse swing, I might still be in that room!

Leave a Reply

*